Google
 

Saturday, February 17, 2007

I Would Even Settle For Being Here Right Now....

After last night, I'd even settle for being in this photo. Taken in the fall of 2006 at the Rifle River in Michigan, it wasn't the best of days, but it certainly beats the chill we've had lately!

Last night, my son convinced me to go ice fishing for Saginaw River walleye. We have, afterall, a worldclass walleye fishery. And he has a portable two-man shanty, heater, fishfinder, lantern, power ice auger, and plenty of rods and tackle. So, what's to lose? I can dress for the 20-below windchill, and besides, I'd get out of the house for a couple of hours. Walleye are great on the grill and I haven't had any in some time.

However, I should have known we've be doomed, as we are on most of our fishing encounters. The temperature plummeted as the wind picked up, the fish weren't biting, and it was too cold to enjoy the beer....which was frozen, anyway, by the time we pitched fishing camp in the middle of the river. That certainly explains why there was only one other lone soul out there with us.

Several hours later, about midnight, we decided it was a wash and we should call it quits. We caught no fish, the heater ran out of propane, and my son had frostbite blisters on his fingers....(the good Samaritan that he is, he offered to drill a hole for the stranger. Ten minutes later, he was in no mood for much more fishing....as his fingers weren't feeling very comfortable). It was time go home.

I don't know what it is about us and fishing. The pain and suffering we endure must be a little bit like when an expectant mom goes into labor. All that pain and discomfort, but we go right ahead and do it again! I'm cold now.....but give me a couple of days and I'll be ready to try for the trophy walleye that I know is out there.
(The above photo was taken with my Nikon D50 and 55-200mm AF-S Nikkor lens.)

No comments: